CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm Really Not A Bum!

You have to understand, when Kaylea started Kindergarten I thought it would be great if I could get a job working at her school. You know, I could be close if she needed me, we would be on the same schedule and it would get me out of the house during the day while she was at school. I immediately thought that a Teacher Assistant (TA) position would be a perfect fit. So, I went to the county offices and filled out an application and asked how I should proceed from there. The nice lady told me that all of the TAs were hired by the Principals at the school, so I would need to go to all of the schools that was interested in and talk to the Principals. Well, that was easy enough (so I thought) since I was only interested in working at Kaylea's school. So, I went to the office at her school and gave the Principal a copy of my resume and spoke with her about my interest. She told me that she hired her TAs from her parent volunteers and substitute teachers. She then advised me to get on the county's sub list and volunteer whenever possible. Well, I took this advise to heart and went back down to the county offices and submitted my application to substitute teach. I, also, became a regular fixture in Kaylea's Kindergarten classroom. The whole subbing thing didn't really take off during Kindergarten, though. You see, the teachers were responsible for acquiring their own subs and none of them knew me, thus they didn't call me. About half way through the year, Kaylea's teacher let me in a little secret. He told me that the substitutes made business cards and passed them out to the teachers so that the teachers would have their phone number. So, I decided I can play their little game and I designed my own business cards and put them in the teachers' mailboxes. Still no calls. Apparently, teachers will not call a sub that they do not know. Talk about a catch 22.

At the beginning of 1st grade I made more business cards and put them in the teachers' mailboxes, again. Then things really started to take off (I put my picture on these business cards so the teachers would recognize my face - see I'm smart!). I was volunteering and substituting all the time. I didn't want to sub at any other schools, though. You see this would defeat my purpose. Remember, I wanted to be seen subbing and volunteering by the Principal at Kaylea's school. You know, so that I would be considered for a TA position should one become available. Imagine my dismay when I found out that the Principal was retiring at the end of Kaylea's 1st grade year. Now, imagine my disappointment when I didn't get a job offer before she left. Basically, I was going to be starting over with the new Principal.

At the beginning of 2nd grade I made more business cards with magnets attached to the backs (so the teachers could stick them to a file cabinet or desk and easily see them when needed). I, also, made chocolate lollipops shaped like apples that I attached to the business cards (hey, I'm not above schmoozing) and put these in the mailboxes, once again. I went into the office with my resume in hand and introduced myself to the new Principal and discussed my interest with her. I was in shock when she told me she didn't have anything to do with the hiring, it was handled by the Central Office. So, here I was, feeling very frustrated and confused. I decided I wasn't going to let it bother me and I would just sub. After all, this way I could set my own hours and I didn't have to work if I didn't want to. Well, I stayed pretty busy subbing and volunteering, but nothing like the previous school year. You see, the new Principal put the responsibility of acquiring subs on one of the secretaries, so it didn't matter what kind of relationship I had managed to build with the teachers. I did have a good rapport with the secretary, so she would call me frequently; however, she tried to keep things fair for all of the subs so the work wasn't as abundant as in the past.

Now, this year, Kaylea has moved up from the Primary School to the Intermediate School where there are no TAs (except in SPED). So I am left still trying to get a TA job at the Primary School; however, I am hardly there anymore. The responsibility of acquiring subs has been given to a new secretary this year and I just don't get the calls. Also, since Kaylea doesn't go to school there anymore, I am not in the building volunteering. When I am at the school subbing I see all these new subs wandering the hallways, all of which have kids at the school. I have really been made a firm believer in "out of sight, out of mind." So, you can see, I'm really not a Bum. I really want to work; the phone just isn't ringing.

Oh, and did I forget to mention, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education? I know you are probably thinking, "Why is a degreed teacher not able to get a Teacher's Assistant position?" Well, I have asked myself the same question many many times. But, oh yeah, I also forgot to tell you what county we live in. You see we are in Sevier County and unfortunately my last name is not Parton, Reagan or Ogle. I have been told many times over that in this county it isn't what you know, but who you know. Too bad for me that I am from Florida and my husband's family is from Pennsylvania; I guess we just don't run in the right circles. You just gotta love the Good 'ole Boy Network, don't cha!

0 comments: