CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Love Is More Than A Hallmark Card

Today we had a Father's Day feast at our house and invited many of the Fathers in our life over to partake. The menu was grilled pork tenderloin, baked beans, corn, slaw, and three different kinds of dessert. We had fun visiting with and celebrating the awesome Daddy's in our presence. There was one person missing, though. A very important person - my Daddy! And yes, I know I am 40 years old and I just referred to my father as "Daddy". Well, that's what he has always been and what I have called him all 40 years of my life. So why change things now?

Though I was in a good mood and happy to have Bub, Pappy, Mr. Jimmy and Mr. Bob over for the afternoon, I couldn't help but be a little sad, also. You see, I have always made a big deal about Father's Day for Bub. Kaylea and I have gone shopping for his cards and gifts. Then there has always been some sort of special meal prepared in his honor. I guess I was a little sad because I don't remember ever doing those things for my Daddy when I was younger. I know we were always with him on Father's Day because it falls in the middle of June and we were always at his house for the summer by then. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Nana took us out to buy him a card, but other than that (and maybe some homemade ice cream) I don't think much of a whoop-di-doo was made. And that is sad, for me.

I am hopeful that Daddy wasn't too disappointed with the celebrations - or lack there of - from the past. And I hope that he knows that just because I only gave him a card, it didn't mean I loved him any less than those kids that gave their father's the nice expensive gifts.

Daddy, I love you and I will always be your little girl!

Jenni


1 comments:

Angie said...

It sounds like a wonderful celebration. . .and I have to believe that they know. . .even when it's just a card!