CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy Birthday To You! Happy Birthday To You!

Happy Birthday to ThiThi, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!

Yes, 44 years ago today this world was graced with the presence of my sister Missy. Of course I was nothing more than a twinkle in my Daddy's eye when she was born, but I'm sure the day was one of celebration for the family.

I have been very lucky to have her as a sister, though I would have argued with you had you told me that when I was a child. You see, our relationship hasn't always been what it is today. With each year that has passed, our relationship has grown and matured with us.

When I was born, I don't think Missy liked me too much. This is more than natural, since she had been an only child and an only grandchild for the almost 4 whole years of her existence. She was the center of attention and wasn't going to relinquish the spotlight without a fight. Rumor has it that she tried to snatch the little bow from my bald little head after Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital. From that point forward (for many years anyways) the gloves were off.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't fight all of the time. Afterall, we did have to sleep ya know. But our house was always filled with its fair share of, "Mom, make her stop!" "Mom, she's bugging me!" "I'm telling!" and "You just wait until Mom gets home."

I know I was a pesty little sister (and probably still am) but I always wanted to do what Missy did. I begged her to play baby dolls and Barbies with me. When she got a 10-speed bike, I wanted one. When she got a skateboard, I had to have one. When she cut off her jeans and rolled them REALLY short, I had to wear mine the same way. When she started wearing make-up, I would watch her put it on and then paint my face the same way.

As teenagers and young adults, a distance was put between us. This distance was caused by us having different priorities and taking different paths in our life. Though we weren't living with each other any longer and we were living totally different lives, we still had that bond of sisterhood that could not be broken.

Once Missy and I both were married, our paths rejoined and our relationship entered a different phase. We shared everything, from weddings to the birth of Kaylea. Yes, Missy was one of my labor coaches during Kaylea's delivery. She has been a part of all of the most important days of my life: my birth, my marriage, and the birth of my daughter. She is truly the best friend I have in this world.

So sis, here's to you on your day. Today is a day for us to celebrate you and all the wonderful things that you are. I love you and will never forget all of the things you have done for me throughout my life.

Your sister and friend,
Jenni

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I liked you, until I figured out that they weren't going to send you back. Srsly, you're my best friend and I couldn't ask for a better sister. Thanks for being my Thi Thi... I could never have become the person I am today without you.
Smooches!