CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summertime, Summertime, Summ Summ Summertime

Every year Kaylea's and my summer begin the same way. This year was a little different because we had the week at the beach (which you can read all about on Kaylea's blog at http://curiously-kaylea.blogspot.com ), but now we are right back to the same ole same ole.

You see, my mom's family reunion is always the second Sunday in June and all of the family that comes in from out of state camps in Townsend. Mom and Jim-Bob normally stay through Father's Day, so we get a nice long visit with them. Kaylea and I always go over to Townsend and spend several nights with them while they are here. It is nice being able to sit by the river and watch the tubers ride by. Plus, we get to swim and play cards and RELAX! The relaxation is always welcome after the craziness of the end of the school year.

Though summer started off a little different this year, things are now back to normal now. We are chillin' in Townsend and catching up with some family members we haven't seen in a year. It's amazing to see the children each year. They always look so much more mature and it really makes me realize how fast they are growing up. Of course I can't avoid the realization that Kaylea looks a lot older to them, as well. And she is growing up, too. I know the year will come that she will not be interested in continuing our summer tradition. I can hear her now, "Mom, I don't want to go over there. It is boring." I guess I will have to decide at that time whether to make her come because "This is what we always do!" I just think it would neat if we continued this until she had children of her own; so she could bring our grandkids to camp with Bub and me. I know that I am looking way too far into the future, but I am just like that. I am always thinking about creating happy memories and traditions for our family. I want Kaylea to be able to tell stories to her kids that begin with, "I remember every ___________ we would go/do __________________."

For now, we are all comfortable with our traditional start to summer and I will am happy with that. I hope all of you have fun making your own traditions, as well.

1 comments:

Angie said...

I feel the same way -- and if you continue these "traditions" you'll be amazed at how they become a part of the fabric of Kaylea's life.

She'll cherish them. .. even though there may be seasons where she begrudgingly participates!

Ain't child-rearing fun???