CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

WRONG - On So Many Levels!

As I was drinking my cup of coffee and reading the Sunday paper (online of course), I came upon this story on the News Sentinel's website: "Back in 'mama's arms': 2-year-old boy found in cornfield".

Ya know, I have several problems with this story. The first being, why wasn't Little Cody's grandmother watching him a little closer? I know when Kaylea was 2 years old we wouldn't even let her play in her room unless one of us was in there with her. I don't understand how the grandmother could have had any kind of level of comfort in not watching him constantly. Especially considering the fact that their family's home is surrounded by a 50-acre cornfield which is surrounded by ponds. Oh yeah, I would be totally comfortable with Kaylea running around out there - NOT!!!!

Something else that just hits me as wrong is that the grandmother called to report Cody missing at 9:44 PM (yes, PM) and he had been missing for about 30 minutes at that time. Let me reiterate - the child is TWO! Why on earth is a two year old playing (1) alone (2) alone outside (3) alone outside at 9:15 PM?

Finally, I have to ask, why didn't the local or surrounding police/sheriff departments/TBI use helicopters to look for this child. We hear about authorities using helicopters to find marijuana fields and moonshine stills, but could they not bring them out to look for a missing child? This blows my mind. For some reason someone, somewhere thought that a 200 person search team was a better idea. Well, that better idea resulted in the child spending the night alone, wet, hungry and scared to death in a cornfield.

I guess we all need to be thankful that Cody had a guardian angel with him that night. He was found unharmed and was very happy to be reunited with his "mama". I can only imagine the relief his mom and grandmother must have felt when the officials emerged from that cornfield with Cody in their arms. I'm sure it was a relief to the officials, as well.

Now, I just have one final question to ask everyone involved in this story (Grandmother, Mom, Officials). Did you learn anything from this????????????

4 comments:

Angie said...

Holy cow! I am constantly amazed at some of the things that happen in other peoples' universes.

Glad to hear things are looking up in your world.

See ya (maybe literally) in a couple weeks!

overtly trite said...

I'll have to agree with you on this one 2 alone outside no less???
OMG I freaked out when I lost C inside the house-he had just started to crawl and we had baby gates up but I "lost" him only to find him hiding under the dinning room table

Angie said...

Hello from Rainy Ohio!! I thought about you today, as we traveled. When you know what your trip will entail, please email me.

It would be hilarious to run into you at a McDonald's in "yankee" territory. (especially when we're always near each other!)

--Angie

Amanda said...

I don't know the whole story. From your comments you are so right.

This type of story seems to be out a lot. I wonder a lot where parents and grandparents brains are.

We just had a lady leave her 14month old baby in the 95 degree heat.OMG wth