CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Roadtrip

Normally, I would be excited about a summer roadtrip. But for some reason it doesn't seem right to get excited about taking a roadtrip to a funeral. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to seeing my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins that I don't get to see very often. It is just the reason for this mini family reunion that really sucks.

Tomorrow, Kaylea and I will be heading up to Indiana to pick up my cousin, Cizzy and her two daughters, K8 and SJ. (you all remember Kaylea's favorite cousin, SJ from the Hilton Head trip?) Needless to say, Kaylea is beside herself with excitement because she gets to play with SJ for another 5 days, or so.

Thursday morning, Cizzy, the girls and I will meet up with ThiThi, Mr. Bob and Ethel and Chris, the two Hens (you know from our Annual Hens and Chicks Trip) they are bringing. I'm sure the intercept destination will be a Cracker Barrel somewhere in Indiana. Afterall, you can't have a roadtrip without at least one stop at a Craker Barrel. After stuffing our guts, we will do our reenactment of Speed Racer to get to Stevens Point, WI by that evening.

I never would have guessed that I would be spending the 4th of July in Wisconsin, but I suppose there could be worse places to be. Actually, in addition to seeing family members, I am looking forward to touring this part of the country. I have never been to Wisconsin, so this will be new territory for me.

Luckily, we will have a couple of days to spend with Auntie H's family. My cousin Thom and his wife are having all of us over to their house on Friday. The kids will get to swim while the adults get to take the every-so-familiar walks down Memory Lane. What is a family gathering without a little bit of "Remember When...?" I'm certain that there will be a lot of laughter and a few tears that day, but we all will go home that evening with a smile on our face and pleasant memories from days gone by.

The caravan of vehicles will be heading back home on Sunday. It will be too soon; but, Auntie H would want it that way. She would expect us to get on with our lives and stop blubbering over her. She was just that type of person.

So, my friends, until we return.............

3 comments:

Pappy & Grammy said...

Our sincere condolences on the loss of Auntie H. We loved her and still do. I remember at the breakfast, after your wedding, she walked up to us, gave us a big hug and welcomed us into the family. I will never forget that. I felt and still do so welcomed. Last fall when Auntie H and Uncle C were traveling through the area on their way to winter in FL, they stayed at your house. We joined you for dinner one evening and what a joyous time we had. Once again, even though we had not seen each other in several years, C and H both got up and gave us hugs.

Yes, I do have wonderful memories of her which I will keep close to my heart.

Angie said...

You're right -- it's never the funnest of occasions, but it will be such a great treat to spend time with your family.

I'll be praying for your safe travels.

overtly trite said...

bring back cheese :)
safe trip!