CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Yes, we made it home from the trek to the great white north. I was really looking forward to going to Wisconsin and exploring new territory. I have to be honest, though. It didn't look much different than Indiana or Illinois to me. Lots of corn fields and dairy farms, but not much more. Of course, you have to remember, I live at the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains (which we kindly refer to as 'God's Country') so it is hard to compete with my everyday surroundings.

The trip north was excruciating. We followed ThiThi who was being guided by the misguided Magellan. I think I have figured out what "GPS" REALLY stands for, something along the lines of "Goshdarned Piece of Scheist". (Ya know I have to keep things clean around here). That stupid Magellan and its wonderful services turned a 13 1/2 hour trip into a 17 1/2 hour trip. All I can say is, at least I was in good company.

My cousin, Cizzy, and her two girls, K8 and SJ, joined Kaylea and me. We had a lot of fun, some at ThiThi's expense (sorry, sis!). There was a lot of laughing and quality time spent with them. Heck, what other choice did we have. The girls watched lots of movies and Cizzy and I listened to lots of movies. Once we reached the 14 hour mark, we all were ready for the ride to be over, but we managed to endure the remainder of the trip.

Before making the return trip, I invested in this really neat navigational device - it's called an ATLAS. Wow, imagine my surprise and joy when I was able to drive home without having to change interstates 14 times and encountering hardly any traffic. Yes, the return trip was still a long one, but it was sooooooooo much easier. Cizzy made a profound statement. She said she believes the GPS makers are in cahoots with the oil companies and getting kickbacks for the extra gas people are buying by following the GPS' directions (i.e. - going the long way). Ya know, she might be onto something. Makes ya think, don't it?

Luckily for Kaylea and me, we were able to stay at Cizzy's house Sunday night. That enabled me to rest and catch my second wind for the remaining 4 1/2 hour drive to K'town. Needless to say, we were in no big hurry to leave Indiana on Monday. If Kaylea had her way, we would still be there. I had to explain to her that we just couldn't move in with SJ. I guess we finally made it home about 7:30 Monday evening.

We are still trying to recuperate. Both of us are tired and our butts are dragging. Kaylea slept until 10:30 this morning and we're still in our PJs. I have a feeling this will just be one of those lazy days.

4 comments:

overtly trite said...

we always have an atlas in the car!
D asked me if I wanted some sort of GPS thingy but I like to old school it with car trips!
glad you guys all made it back in one piece!

Angie said...

Hey Girl! I thought I felt some kinda "wonderful" on Sunday/Monday when you drove past us! LOL

We made it home tonight. I'm zonked.

We have a TomTom and although he's a bit annoying - -he got us where we needed to go.

Donna Cooper said...

Hi!

Enjoying reading your blog. I'm in "East Tennessee" too. Do you go to Seymour Heights Christian Church? I found you via Angie's blog.

Anyhow, I'm Donna and it's nice to "meet you".

Drop by sometime....
www.HisGraceAmazesMe.
blogspot.com.

Donna

Rima said...

I'm sorry to hear of your auntie's passing, but glad that you got to spend some quality time with your family! And those GPS things scare me.